Sunday 28 February 2021

Negligent Discharges:

Yeah I get-it that safety isn't exciting .. but it certainly can be a 'MATTER OF LIFE & DEATH.  

This is often called an 'A.D' or "Accidental Discharge" and I was prompted to raise the topic by a piece written by "The Cornered Cat" - a lady who writes very wisely in the U S .. 

https://www.corneredcat.com/no-live-ammo/

There is even a second "A.D' story in last week's 'Active Response Training' from Greg Ellifritz:

https://blog.krtraining.com/lessons-from-an-accidental-discharge/

I know of at least TWO shooters at my pistol club who have had at least one 'A.D' ..

I can say this totally without any smell of bullshit - because I was at the range when a shooter fired a round into the concrete much too close to that shooter's own foot for comfort .. we are talking inches. (I bet THAT got the heart-rate up.)

My early A.D. happened when I was around 20 y.o & I stumbled while crossing a frozen ploughed UK field - my "jerk" caused the nice old external-hammer 12 Gauge to bounce-fire one barrel into the air. - The old gun was closed but "safely" un-cocked and my hands were nowhere near the triggers - but my tripping and half fall was enough to send the shot so close to my mate's head that he said he felt it's wind pass overhead. (Oh my Gawd that was a long time ago (60 years?)).

Have you seen the damage one 12G round could do at close range?


TREAT EVERY GUN AT ALL TIMES AS LOADED.

NEVER POINT ANY GUN AT ANYTHING YOU DON'T WISH TO DESTROY.

KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER.

ENSURE YOUR TARGET AND BACKGROUND IS CLEAR & SAFE TO FIRE.

I don't want to use the phrase "Accidents do happen" because for some of my working life in air cargo I was a part-time accident investigator and they definitely DO happen .. and they usually have a chain of small but bad things leading up to the eventual hit. - Before that - for ten years - I worked in plastics injection molding and have been very close there to several accidental amputation victims.

Those "stupid rules" are there for very good reason.

Re-Holstering Can be Hazardous:

You will often hear people complain about guns with crappy heavy trigger pulls - typically the Glocks - and those same folk love a crisp light trigger that has been reduced & "TUNED" to perfection ..

Well - do you think  that you might excuse or ever forgive yourself after causing an accidental injury? 
I enjoy the company of a select group of fine licensed fit & proper - responsible, trustworthy, and lawfully behaved friends on range. - These endorsed License Holders form a safe environment such that you cannot find anywhere else in the whole world. 

- I have been inside a few Police Headquarters where immature and unsafe behavior was obvious.  Common sense and ability with arms is also NOT a feature of some military personnel either. - I have stood very close to an Army Major as he 'accidently' discharged a full magazine from a Glock 18 down-range & into the roof of the underground Federal Police range.

It is very strange how our occasionally armed and unlicensed NZ Police are said to enjoy ONE training session a year while The Commissioner of Police requires licensed & endorsed target pistol shooters to attend their club range 12 times every year .. not complaining about that rule as I would shoot every week if possible - but once a year (maybe - at best) for Law Enforcement?

BE SAFE

Marty K.





No comments:

Post a Comment