Thursday 29 July 2021

Skin In The Game Or Something To Hide?

 Some things are corrosive .. corrosive of your rights and seeking to erode our freedoms as law abiding citizens of good standing in society. - Police management have in the last two years introduced massively punitive  ANTI GUN regulations and restrictions on NZ Firearms Licence Holders - while the criminal use of guns against Police, other Gang members & the public continues to sharply rise.

I hear that there are some 2,000 prospective L.E. Officers waiting to be inducted and trained .. as the Police Training College is presently closed-mothballed due to NO FUNDING until next year 2022.

Frontline police try to do their critical function under difficult conditions. - they don't create the laws and policies that are imposed by their management .. but they are required to enforce them.

I recently 'copped' a small speeding fine for being 2 k.p.h. over the accepted 10 k.p.h. tolerance on the residential area posted speed limit. - the excellent officer checking my status commented " Ah - you're one of the good guys eh - I see that you have a gun licence." - and we had a great chat about this & that & life in general .. but I still got my $80 fine.

____________________

Given the choice - I much prefer the feel and function of real leather for holding-up my jeans - for keeping my feet dry - and to securely hold my guns ready for use as permitted by NZ Police. 


- But it does seem NOT to be a good idea to store your beautiful pistols in that leather gear as the chemicals used in the tanning process will have left that leather with a mix of corrosive nasties including Sulfuric, Oxalic, & Formic acid and various types of salts. - In support of this caution .. I have on several occasions seen blue-green corrosion 'verdegris' around the metal studs & rivet fittings on old leatherwork.

Shame eh .. but the hi-tech plastics might just be better for your shooting irons than I like to think ..

I did buy a costly left-handed 'Blackhawk' rigid polymer security holster to fit my Glocks - about one month before the NZ governing body for pistol shooting BANNED the design from range use .. because using the trigger finger to unlock the retention system as you draw was causing overseas folk to shoot themselves by pushing-on with that finger into the trigger guard of the withdrawing pistol. I have modified that mechanical gripper to an approved static state using 'Sugru Mouldable Glue' bought online from UK. (Good stuff).

Naughty-Dangerous Security Catch of BLACKHAWK Holster:

What-evah .. real leather feels better to me - more user friendly/natural despite it being skin flayed from large deceased animals at the slaughter house and pickled in chemicals for weeks. Life - after all is said & done - is all about feelings, perceptions & aspirations eh.

Anyway - I have found an unused black leather belt-slide-thumb-break at my favorite "Army surplus" store for $14.50 that is imprinted Ruger Single Six 2/90 and it "fits" reasonably both my Ruger SP101 revolvers and my Webley Mk.IV .38"s .. that's a bargain.

The more I look into stuff .. the more I realize that there's so much I don't know eh .. like where has Paul Cross of Magnum Leather gone to - as he used to build superb leatherware?

My Tan 'Magnum Leather' Rig courtesy of Paul Cross's Genius Leatherware .. 
Shoulder Holster Rigs Have dropped-out of Fashion Lately.

Presently club target pistol shooting in NZ is having some police pressure applied by increased range visits where the officer observes the activities and takes name & licence details to cross check with the validity of the used gun's serial numbers .. a paranoid & pointless activity that must surely be aimed at justifying their new restrictive regulations.

I have heard it noted that the only safety breach observed on these visits was that the police patrol cars used were parked out of sight of the range activity with their firearms unsupervised inside for hours.

Every PRACTICAL PROBLEM has a PRACTICAL SOLUTION ..  the really tough issues stem from what problem people do ..

Hey Ho ..

Marty K.




No comments:

Post a Comment