Sunday 5 February 2023

Handguns And Police In New Zealand:

I have lost some of my nine lives (had I been a cat) - at least three times ..                    1/- 🐈 Was when a surgeon poked my heart with a catheter instead of just using it to squirt some dye, and around five minutes after the lights went-out - I came back with four red burn marks on my chest.

2/- 😺Was when I spent about five odd hours "on the slab" while multiple surgeons and nursing staff turned-me-off  & cut me open for by-pass surgery with my sticky fluids being recirculated by ancient mechanical pumps and refrigeration devices ..

3/- 😹Was when I enjoyed  'Mallory Weiss Tears' in my esophagus and just about filled a bucket with blood three times .. before, during - and after the repeated emergency surgery.

I can report that despite these multiple death experiences, purely for education - there were no angels or long departed relatives calling me to cross over - and most surprisingly to all concerned .. my brain seems to have not deteriorated noticeably - and my mental health wasn't injured when my by-pass neighbour in the Dunedin ICU received open heart massage next to me before being transferred to the cold store.

In 60 years of driving both here in NZ & elsewhere I have also had several life threatening crashes that might count as subtracting from my allocation of Nine 🐈editions .. (and naturally there were also the original 'heart attacks' that I self medicated with high dosage aspirin - do they count?)

None of my red 'departure cards' resulted from my prolonged & close associations with military styled semi-auto arms, shotguns, pistols and 'dangerous' high capacity magazines.

'Time Flies when You're Having Fun'.

Wow - it's 33 years since that author was brave enough to examine our NZ police relationship with firearms.

- Back at the begining in 1841 there were only 57 sworn Policemen in New Zealand - each carrying flintlock pistols shoved down their trousers waistband ..

.66" caliber 'New Land Service' Pistol - Single 9 inch Barrel.

Technology has advanced some since those days & I finally managed to introduce Glocks through an obstructive "Chief Inspector Taffy" - who in the '90s planned to buy some Indian made copies of the WW II High-Power s/a because there was "no way my police force is going to buy plastic guns". 

Even back then, biased opinion was offered as a trumpcard to defeat fact.

It took repeated letters to the then NZ Police Minister (and the UK 'Met') to winkle my banned sample Glock out of isolation in a locked cabinet at Upper Hutt to be included in the police trials - which naturally it won.

Who can guess what might replace the 9mm Glocks one day when they themselves become outdated?

- You'd be brave to guess eh .. but right now I'd be imagining a move towards a high capacity smaller caliber - higher velocity 'auto' round .. perhaps something in a 5.7mm or 8mm "bottle-neck" cartridge for dependable feeding into a non tilting rotating barrel ??

Plastic cased? Electically Ignited? Integral Optics? Dunno.

What I do know is that currently our politicians and police management are colluding to label civilian gun owners as dangerous violent armed undesireables.

- How can it be - that the single most checked, interviewed, compliant, law-abiding - referenced & endorsed sector of New Zealand Citizenry - that is Licensed as FIT & PROPER to own firearms ..

 are simultaneously undesireable Pariahs to be shunned, controlled, and penalised as a threat to the nation?

Licenced Firearms Owners are more checked and approved than the Police themselves are, - certainly our record for stability and lawful behaviour is superior to that of some of our country's politicians.

Time is long overdue for the repeated punitive attacks on law-abiding sporting gun users to be ended and wound back to a system that works at least as well as it used to ..

HOW CAN THE BEST CALIBER PEOPLE - WHO COULD BE THE STRONGEST ALLIES OF POLICE - BE TREATED AS THE WORST?

Marty K.

Oh my ... The Minister Of Police office holder is once again Stuart Nash of the Labour Party.

 He has held the position since 1 February 2023.



No comments:

Post a Comment