Friday 29 December 2023

BIG BORE "SNUBBIES" - RUST & 'cock-ups'

 This old bugger - I strongly dislike the Magnum loaded BIG BLASTERS as - to be frank - I can't handle them. - They hurt the shooter. - But in general terms, I do like a big lump of lead moving forcefully downrange to frighten the horses .. provided it hasn't blasted my ears, stung my hands - sprained my wrists or broken my collar-bone.

Ain't They Manly ? (apart from those stupid lock-holes)

Cute as, when downloaded for a reasonable argument ..

Mormon Leader Brigham Young had a bodyguard, who once quieted a crowd by saying “I never killed anyone who didn’t need killing.”
Cut-Down Colts "MORMON AVENGING ANGEL"

I've seen pics of this PRETTY PIECE around a bit. 
- It isn't just Glock owners that feel the urge to p-about with a working gun eh ..

I bought this below mid-19th Century 1850-60's " unknown caliber" Turn-Off  or Screw-Barrel "Muff Pistol" from images posted at the auction site - guessing that both the barrel and nipple would be rust-seized in place .. as they were. Naturally.
It takes the same .454" size balls (140 gns) as Ruger Old Army Revolvers

My propane torch made me very happy when the screw-off smooth bore tube shifted on the third cooking-quenching .. it spat, crackle & popped a bit under the flame when smoking hot - 
Always CHECK FIRST for WHAT IS DOWN THAT BARREL
Long ago I learned that THE way to clean a gun after use was to pour boiling water through it to dissolve crud and to flush it out & away. The heated metal dries rapidly to be wiped down and polished with an oily rag.

This one went into the boil pot with a spoonful of 'Cold Power' detergent that promptly went muddy as the crap dissolved - boiled for 10 minutes then all change - dumping a lot of grit and yummy ancient Deoxyribonucleic acid - DNA polymers, before repeating. - Boiling is supposed to convert rust into a black oxide - but that doesn't seem to work for me.
AND so far I can't shift that rotten nipple .. it's looking like it may have to be DRILLED OUT.
Stuffed & Stuck - what do you expect .. it's from Birmingham England.
- 'Crossed Sceptres & Crown over V' Proof Marks.

- Here's how a TURN-OFF Pistol works - It's technically a breach-loading pistol as, around 10 grains of powder is dropped into that quarter inch dia. chamber, and the ball sits into the cup while the barrel screws back - compressing it onto the powder charge. This gives perhaps, 300-450 foot/sec velocity depending on the quality of the propellant.
- Center 'Dolphin' Hammer, Slab Sided Grip. 2 3/8 inch smooth-bore barrel 54 Bore -.454" caliber.

Nothing wrong with a smooth-bore in a close range firearm .. what is any rifling-twist going to achieve, other than raising friction to reduce velocity? - This cap'n'ball pistol with a 3/8 inch barrel is a period 'snubbie' .

- Now for those worried about boiling gun parts - SPRINGS are tempered between 400 C - 700 C, while boiling water cannot rise above 100 C - so relax.
- A clean antique has to be better than a dirty old banger.
- DO NOT BOIL YOUR Glock. - If it was laying on the bottom of the pot - it could MELT.

- I'm thinking that the small powder chamber might benefit from being polished once I get the nipple out .. using fine grade emery paper - this might increase powder capacity- WARNING WARNING I'm first trying dissolving the rust using White Vinegar in the chamber - well I've seen good test results online. We only need a small miracle ..
OK, this worked overnight inside the chamber BUT is not recommended as the vinegar dribbled causing orange surface rusty outbreaks. - Perhaps TOTAL IMMERSION works OK while the acids eat into the corrosion .. anyway the powder chamber appeared somewhat CLEANED and ready for more CRC soaking/penetration/lubrication before further gas torching.

This is all 'seat of the pants flying' for me .. but it WORKED - it's OUT.
Stuffed Nipple removed & a possible Replacement found -YIPPEE
- the new Nipple is a TRESO in Beryllium Copper (no more rust eh)
I tried clearing the damaged cone & it's insides crumbled into gritty dust ..
Reassembled, Threads Greased, & Canola-Oiled
I note that small pistols of this nature might be called "Barkers" - "Pops" - Snappers, Sticks, or "Toby Pistols" - as a High Toby Man was a Highway Robber - mounted, (not a Low-Way Robber .. on foot)
- I like to call them "a GET OFF ME" pistol  Ref. Link:


- Should I try some 'Cold Blue' finish applied hot - or leave the antique pistol raw metal?

By the way .. that old removed nipple was hollowed-out with corrosion - I've scraped-out about 4 grains of gritty oxide-crap .. just a "shell" remains of it's proper shape.
Corroded & Horrible with a 9mm Case Fired From a Glock 20 10mm ..

ALL MY OWN WORK ...
Now THAT's "FIRE FORMING"

Marty K.





No comments:

Post a Comment