Saturday 10 August 2024

How Is Your Length of Pull?

 Mmm, I know ..

In the shot gun world this refers to the distance measured from the face of the trigger to the centre of the Butt Pad - an important factor to the "fit" of a scatter gun.

But I am a crap shooter at clay birds so youse-lot can talk among yourselves about that .. What I'm thinking about is TRIGGER REACH/ Length of Pull on pistols.

Now, I'm measuring this in centimeters as this is the Worldwide Metric System standard .. even in America where 'S.I.' was "Prefered" in 1975 - but you'd never guess that eh.

So the reason I found the Glock 20 10mm and my Glock G19X (with the thick Backstrap fitted) so sweet shooting and comfortable is to a large degree because they fit my hands - because the trigger reach is good for my long fingers.

- This is the World of Variables again.

Just Look at the SIZE of that ..
Now I measure the distance from the rear of the Grip to Trigger Face on these two 'Old Ducks' as being roughly 7.5 cm and 8.8 cm.
That's two "Pocket Pistols" where the trigger reach differs by just 13 mm - but that length makes enough difference to me for one to be comfortable while the smaller tool cramps my hand and is uncomfortable.

- Sure, if I were weaving my way home through the pitch black night of an Edwardian city slum in 1850 and a couple of lowwaymen armed with cudgels and knives jumped me - I'd be pleased to shoot either or both pistols and save my silver & my life .. but the smaller piece would be much harder for me to find and point where needed.

Small Colt '1849' with My Colt 1861 'Navy'

Trigger Reaches of 9.3 cm and 10.2 cm respectively for these two original Colts certainly make a difference to the feel - but either is manageable in my hands while the .36" is better -  The shape and the girth of these stocks is the classic 'Plough Handle'.

Trigger Reach is complicated by the fatness and shape of the grips as well as the features of your own appendages ..

I often see a question from a "newb" that reads something like "I'm new to shooting and looking for a gun to carry for self defense - what is best to get?" 

- Well I'd say don't buy anything till you've been to your local range or club and shot everything you can get your hands on and talked to everyone about it for as long as you can afford to buy the beers.

It's Variables again - how small & strong are you? - how big are your hands AND your pay cheques? - Are you recoil sensitive and a 'flincher'. - Holster or 'pocket carry'? You MUST try everything you can find and do a lot of thinking about it before spending big money.

I had a shooting friend with a S&W M29 44 Magnum that he'd proudly owned for around 40 years and I only saw him shooting it twice. - I shot it once .. one round only.

What a PIG of a thing ..

Be careful how you choose your cars, guns, and women,

Marty K.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment