Thursday 1 November 2018

Pistol Club Range Day:


A great day .. good Spring weather, good company, - and good shooting. (Mind you a "Southerly" shortly blew in from the Antarctic with black rain clouds and a temperature drop.)

Interestingly four out of the seven in the group were exercising AR "style" rifles & carbines .. two were silenced 9mm JustRite carbines, #3 was in .223"/ 5.56 mm, and the 4th was a PUMP-Action 'TROY' in .300 BLK.
Photo From TROY Website.

The 'Troy' on range here in New Zealand was in a different configuration to this image - but is definitely an interesting way to enjoy an AR style modern arm that doesn't breech the stupid "assault weapon" semi-auto "Black Rifle" type restrictions  imposed on semi-automatics in some localities.

Interesting ..
I focused on rapid fire double action revolver work at around eight meters - and was quietly satisfied with the resulting paper perforations. My four inch Ruger SP 101s have d/a trigger pulls around 11 pounds that I enjoy working with .. standard triggers .. BUT I have fitted fatter aftermarket rubber stocks ... My Glocks have all been unaltered and work well in standard configuration.

- Now that's not strictly correct - as I actually experimented with various modifications in the early days .. long slides (and 'short' (G19), red dots, green dots, various compensator designs, different trigger options including "New York Triggers" and light triggers, added weights, Tritium night sights, "Glock socks" made from bicycle tube (cheap & functional) .. what else ..?

A bog standard gun seems to work fine. Perhaps the large frame G 20 10mm fits my hands a little better, as they are large(ish) - but 9mm is a logical choice for standard every-day use.

9mm ammunition is widely available in a range of variations - and it's simple to handload.

If I were US based I'd maybe be thinking G 17 for overt carry or a .32" compact-to-medium size for covert carry.

But the older I get - the fonder I seem to be of revolvers. - They work .. I don't 😊

I was also much interested to find that seven out of eight thinking men having a 'chat break' at the firing line were able to display a personal good quality pocket knife .. including one top quality 'BenchMade'.
My SOG 'Flash' mostly Stays Home ..
as I don't want to scratch it.

Current Daily Carry Opinel No.8.

Marty K.
After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870





No comments:

Post a Comment