Monday 26 October 2020

'Kiwi-Austrian' Glock G44 - On Range (Part III:

Fat O/E Glock Rim-Fire Magazine - is only 10 round Capacity.

I did not buy a G44 to test rimfire ammunition. - I can't understand the mindset of anyone who finds that brand Cxxt fails to function in the pistol & then uses that same ammo to make a video to prove that Glocks are rubbish. - I'll note what flavours the G44 likes and then try to shoot it as well as I can.

Over the last nine months there have been many thousand round "reliability reports" about this wee shooter that would bore witless the most patient parent .. It seems to me that if you hate Glocks - the G44 will be another heap of foreign crap - and if you admire the brand - this .22" is a further wondrous miracle to applaud ..

Let's Give Glock A Fair Suck Of The Sav
SAVELOY Sausage - Some Call it A 'Hot Dog'

 - When my family first arrived in NZ (1976) - well meaning butchers shop workers kept handing cold boiled saveloys to the kids as a treat. They HATED THEM but tried politely to seem delighted with these squishy red dyed plastic tubes of grey emulsified mutton scraps & flaps.) .. around this time you might buy a supermarket side of lamb - half a sheep without the wool - for $5.

BELIEFSOPINIONS & TASTES VARY. (in my mind .. It's SUBJECTIVE eh 😃)

However - as I understand the reality - ALL tooling & components for U S Glocks are made in Austria .. while only the Barrels, Frame, Slides, (& plastic Packaging) are processed in U S - from entirely imported Austrian materials.

OK - I have shot plenty of 'two-twos' before .. I understand about rim-lock and how to use the mag's follower tabs when loading rounds .. EVERY rim-fire s/a pistol I have ever shot has been a little hit & miss to operate and picky about the brands it liked to fire.
Some guns have needed to be regularly cleaned & well lubricated - while others liked to be dry & dirty.

 I bought TWO extra G44 magazines with the pistol plus the two O/E and have numbered them 1 to 4.

Some folk may have been taught that they are the most important person here & that they have the right to choose which alternative to believe .. However the TRUTH may differ.

FACTS ARE FACTS - The .22" Long rifle cartridge is a VERY USEFUL cheap wee cartridge for pest control, target shooting and hunting small game .. BUT it's low-power small bore nature results in marginal reliability in many self loading firearm actions.

Wheels within Wheels: - Did you know that Aguila Mexico bought their priming process from Eley - UK makers of the worlds most accurate competition rim-fire ammunition? .. Now there is talk of Eley ammo being made in Mexico .. Quality Control is key to performance eh.

- A Browning Buckmark pistol I owned was erratic ,, My current beautiful new Ruger Mk.IV Hunter is a work of art in stainless steel .. but has not yet settled down to perform like a clockwork mouse .. both of these are reputed to be reliable. - My Advantage Arms rim-fire Glock conversion performed variably.

My Austrian built G44 is light and comfortable in the hand - but both the recoil spring and trigger pull have a stronger feel than anticipated .. stronger perhaps than those in my G19x 9mm - The "steel insert" in front of the back sight seems to be a polymer surface .. while the front sight that is often subject to comment for being "plastic" strongly attracted my magnet as it has a steel insert or screw. If you can - you ought check things for yourself.
     100x Rounds out of the box:    100x Adjusted Rear Sight:   100x More inc. Sub-Sonic      
I'm satisfied by that at 8 meters .. but I'm easy pleased eh:

I put roughly three hundred rounds of mixed ammo through the new G44 with no issues. - but you definitely need to adjust the top round from the magazine to point-up correctly as they do load with a nose-down stance that will fail to feed. - Even 36 grain sub-sonic worked fine through my gun once the presentation of the first round out of the magazine was ensured.

Now if I've learned anything from this first outing .. it's that these .22" long rifle magazines are not the best. They are NOT steel lined like the centrefire mags are - they are completely made of plastic apart from the spring and I reckon that the polymer feed lips combine with the cartridge follower to make life difficult. - The gun is great ... the magazines - not so much.

Marty K.



No comments:

Post a Comment