Thursday 1 October 2020

Home Gun-smithing French MAB Model D:

😅 ...Yeah well .. I DID actually get #1 MAB Model D to hold it's slide open on the safety switch - Honestly I did ... but then I made a major blue and oiled the gun (after more re-bluing) and quiet logically the oil lubricated the hold-back function so well that it just slips-off again. ...
.. So I've once more re-worked four of the contact areas with fair success - with a little bit of a fiddle. ...

MAB Model D - A Sort Of Spring-Loaded "Chinese Puzzle"
 - Be Grateful For Gaston Glock's 17 Simplicity:

Certainly the "safety-switch" works to prevent the gun firing - AS DOES KEEPING YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER - but when used to hold the gun open mine is still 'marginal' ..

I had a real game doing this strip & re-work .. as I wiggled the slide forward to remove it - it suddenly gave and in my peripheral vision I saw the striker assembly drop down the inside of my recliner-armchair.

Pulling the chair carefully forward to check under .. then turning it completely upside-down revealed lots of furry dust coating and cobwebs but no striker-spring-plunger assembly. - Flipping the chair onto it's side attracted my old cat demanding attention and needing to be shown exactly how the chairs mechanism works ... but then, after an exchange of swearwords I did spot the small firing pin group cosily nestled in the fluff. - Phew.

I'm certainly NOT a natural gunsmith or engineer .. maybe I might  better have career-trained as a builder or drain-layer ... something that entails using a spade or a big hammer maybe.

I have flatted - polished & re-blued one pitted scratched side of the slide .. and it does look much better. - Birchwood Casey Perma Blue  paste works fine for me.

And the 9+1 round French MAB 'thirty-two' is sweet to shoot ..

Theoretically someone living in a WAR ZONE might prefer a coyote tan Glock 19x for primary self defence appendix carry .. but the MAB D would still be great back-up in a chest or shoulder holster - or in a pocket on one side with the Ruger 327 Magnum revolver counter-balancing the load on the other side.

Marty K.


No comments:

Post a Comment