Sunday 16 April 2023

Old Crap & Shiny Toys .. Wadcutters:

The Ukraine population is said to have dropped by 10 Million, with 1 Million having fled to Russia and the rest into Europe - while Ukraine's military losses exceed 250,000 dead.

Voltaire  1694-1778 : “It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished - unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.”

________

They taught me to shoot on the school range in the CCF when I was 14 y.o in 1958 - and they also taught me that 'the atom' was the smallest particle of matter possible, and that every fully loaded double-decker London bus would be carrying one "homosexual" as 2% of the population suffered from this 'deviation'.
Now, some 60 plus years later we have 'Hicks Bosons' and 'Up-quarks' - 'Charm quarks' - and even 'Down quarks' with Gluons - and I do now understand that there are more varieties of  'non-binary' rainbow genders than might fit on a London bus - if only they could agree to sit together peacefully.

"Wavicles"
- I do NOT understand that light can behave as a stream of particles or as a wave - nor do I understand 'QUANTUM SUPERPOSITION' whereby a particle can occupy two different places at once. However I do accept it as being scientific fact.

My Antique Original Colts '1849' Pocket Pistol
With My 'repro' Uberti Remington New Model Army:
I reckon there are THREE good(ish reasons for me wasting money on my 'toys'

1/-  I like them .. they make me happy when I play with them & consider their antiquity, quality & function.

2/-  They mostly will increase in value as time flows on.

3/-  They might become critically useful under emergency conditions.

'Tickity-pop' or 'Belt-&-Watches'

Now I'm not suggesting that anything could possibly go wrong in 2023 .. with all those well paid career politicians looking after worldly affairs, plus our lesser national issues - BUT keep a few extra cans of baked beans in the pantry just in case eh and maybe put a carton of Stella Artois beer in the fridge to wash the beans down when you get thirsty ..
One 'old' gun that I have really enjoyed is a top-break Webley revolver with a four inch barrel in the old .38 S&W caliber.
This nicely made piece fits the hand comfortably and remains an effective accurate shooter - despite the shooteratzi expert's derision that because this round was developed in 1877 it is puny old fashioned rubbish.
There are good reasons the British military stayed with this handgun caliber until 1963 .. IT WORKS.
I use Lee 9x19mm dies to seat .38"/9mm bullets into the short rimmed brass - but my absolute favorite bullets in the Webley are hollow based lead wadcutters that reliably fly to the center of the target and do interesting things when pushing into firm media .. see my earlier testing:

https://flicense.blogspot.com/2021/07/plasticine-goes-ballistic-down-under.html

Of course these wadcutter rounds can face either way into the brass to make a huge hollow point pill.
- More about wadcutter use here ..


Stay Happy,


Marty K.


No comments:

Post a Comment