Monday 19 May 2014

Reduced Loads, Shuetzenplinker, Gallery Cartridges:

I think the first 'plinking loads' I tried were 6.5 x 55mm hard-cast pills fired from my Swedish Mauser Rifle. - A mate gave me about forty cast pills to try around thirty years ago and they shot very well at medium ranges - but I can't quote you any loading details as it's long-gone. That was a neat rifle, very well built and an excellent hunting calibre.

                                6.5x55 Swedish Mauser Rifle - Complete with Bayonet.

I had worried that the big hard-cast bullets might badly lead the bore - but they weren't at all bad.

About the same time I tried building a load for Bowling Pin Matches run at the Christchurch Pistol Club. I squeezed 158gn jacketed hollow-point .357" Revolver projectiles into 9MM cases with a smallish powder charge and they worked very well on the Pins (slow and heavy) - but the soft lead hollow-points didn't chamber very reliably at first - 'dragging' up the steep loading ramp on the semi-auto Glock 17. - I cured that by rounding the noses and spraying them with silicon lubricant to help them slip into place. I won the "Nine-for-Nine" match that year with that load - but if I was doing it again now I would run the .357" pills through a resizing die down closer to .355 for the 9mm bore. - I went on from that 9x19mm load to dreaming-up the duplex (twin 100gn cast lead pills) load for my 10mm (40Auto Magnum !) Glock20 I talk about in an earlier post.

I guess that the subsonic 300 Blackout loads for shooting through a silenced rifle come into the same class of reduced loads but the ideal load here would be a 200gn or heavier jacketed round -  220gn or even 240gn if you can find them - I'd try and get a few first to load and select which one works best for accuracy before loading in bulk.

I'm still working on being able to pay for that as a new toy - either an AR15 or and AK platform silenced semi-auto in 300 BLK - I'm left-handed and get warned that there may be unpleasant hot gasses blasting back into my face from the AR15 but not from an AK - still working on it! - If you have any experience of this, I'd value your input as a 'comment'.

                         300 Blackout Sub-Sonic 220gn - That's a chunky looking pill
                                                             -Some "squib-load' !

- I guess that it is OK to term these sub-sonic loads as reduced - but with the heavier weight bullets they remain very hard hitting at proper ranges. - Reduced velocity but increased mass.

Right now I'm looking for a lead ball 'Triple 0' (000 Buck) at .360" diameter (- tumble-lubed) - to try as a plinker load for my Ruger GP100 357 Magnum Revolver - That would count as a "Gallery Practice Cartridge' or "squib-load' - but if you slipped-in three of them into a .357 Magnum case that would be a whole different 'ball'-game altogether eh. - I'm thinking that a really light single ball load might give trouble with the primers backing-out and jamming.

I'm also waiting for 1000 147grain copper-plated flat-nose lead pills to land (from South Africa) to use as sub-sonic 9MM loads through my ' De-Lisle' Lee-Enfield bolt-action rifle.(They work fine in my Glock 17 too). The classic WW2 De-Lisle Commando Carbines were in .45" ACP and very quiet.


                  My 9MM "De-Lisle" Conversion on an Antique Lee-Enfield Rifle
                                          - Needs a sub-sonic load to be really quiet.

I generally make my reloads as light-loads as I don't see much point in sending full power bullets down-range to punch a hole in a piece of thin paper and then to bury themselves six inches deeper in the stop bank - But I do keep a batch of full-power rounds to hand and make a point of shooting with them regularly so that they don't surprise me.

Todays Joke":  My idea of regular exercise is jumping to conclusions !

- All these experimental loads produce an interesting variation from the norm - may reduce costs - and often produce unexpected effects down-range. - It's all added interest - Life is good.

Marty K
After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870


No comments:

Post a Comment