Wednesday 28 May 2014

Unwanted Colt SAA - Old Rusty Shot-shells:

Way back in March - writing about the Colt SAA 'Peacemaker' - I joked that I'd be happy to adopt and care-for any old neglected example that was collecting dust in an attic or barn - Well you could have "knocked me down with a feather" - when only weeks later my 'Ex' told me that her line-dancing friend had found "a 45 Colt Peacemaker" and some old ammunition in a box in her garage!

                              An orphan 'Peacemaker' - for me ? - You'd be lucky!

- First opportunity to drive down the hill onto the plains and take a look at this discovered treasure came and - as I'd expected - the found treasure-trove turned-out to be a die-cast "replica" toy - still with its packaging - but also a crappy nylon shot-shell belt containing dangerously rusted 12 gauge shells.

I say "crappy" because the cartridge loops are so slack that the shells fall straight through to drop in the dirt - and many of the shotgun shells 'brass' bases have rusted and present a disposal problem as you'd have to be very foolhardy to risk firing them in a gun.


I told this lady that it was only a toy and not worth anything - real 1873 Colts weren't sold in foam polystyrene - but she protested "no - its got real ammunition and everything" - so I had to agree with her that it did have real ammunition - real TOY ammunition in the toys packaging - and REAL shotgun ammunition that was in a dangerous condition and needed sorting-out safely - but as she wanted the "dangerous gun" out of her garage I put the stuff in the back of my car and waved 'bye-bye'.

- What do you do with dodgy ammunition? - I guess that I could try hand it in at a police station but that's just passing the buck - and anyway the police posts around my way are either closed and empty usually (the Cops are out catching cars exceeding the speed-limits by 4kph.)


 - or the office is manned by a bespectacled middle-aged clerk who'd likely not welcome being fronted with an armful of live 'dangerous!' ammunition: BOMB ALERT, BOMB ALERT.

- I plan to cut the shells open and to empty out the shot and propellant powder - maybe burn the unknown powder and might re-use the lead shot or pass it to someone who re-loads for shotgun - either way it's going to be a waste of my time and I've got a feeling that 'line-dancing-lady' thinks I'm ripping-her-off and have taken her valuable real antique!

As for the Spanish made die-cast toy "Colt 45"  - does anyone know a young person who'd like a toy cowboy gun to run around with and have fun? - Aw, perhaps that's not a good idea either as..

 a/- most kids now only play on their computers or 'tablets' and..

 b/- a reported sighting of somebody running around in their back-yard with a realistic looking *GUN* will likely result in a full 'Armed Offenders' call-out of black clad, bullet-proofed, booted & helmeted, face-masked men carrying full-auto assault weapons as they slide down ropes from their black helicopter to detain the armed suspect..


 - twelve hours late - when the kid is cosily sleeping in bed with his new toy.

Marty K
After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870






No comments:

Post a Comment