Saturday 15 May 2021

Big Bore's For Close Work:

.577"-.600" Tranter "STOPPER" Revolver & Cartridges. - Now that was a gun ..
400 grains @ around 725 feet per second .. WHACK 

The other day I read "Shooters are an interesting bunch - if you ask two of them what is the best caliber .. you'll get at least three opinions". 

Progression of the large bore STOPPERS  .. Big bores seem to stick around with handgun preferences - whereas rifle calibers have somewhat tightened-up as technology permitted the velocities to rise. 

Flintlock


Derringer

                               

Howda 4x barrel



Webley 'BBD' - British Bull-Dog revolver



Snubby d/a Revolver.

O/A length 6.75 inch ..


The Glock G29 10mm Auto below is 177mm - nearly 7 inches long (6.97")
- Way back in the late 1860's there was an improved version of the Webley BBD known as the ULSTER Bull-Dog that had an extra inch of grip frame brazed-on for Braddell & Son of Belfast - for better control .. in similar logic to the modern Glock 19X  & G45.
ULSTER Bull-Dog version of The Webley.
A Decent Grip Does Make a Difference.

Please don't ask me for my opinion about big bore versus high velocity 
- as I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure ..

- What I am sure about is that those big lumps of lead did the job - as also do properly designed modern pistols .. provided either is directed to a vital area, - my second certainty is that any gun that blasts the shooters senses and then recoils so sharply as to hurt her-his hands will deter practice and the accurate placement of bullets .. which is key for results - But well done to all those 'Real Men' who love their 44 Magnums - they probably also drink Guinness.

I have shot-tried a few big-uns - but the only ones I liked & got any good with was my 10 MM Auto Glock 20's (& my black-powder Ruger Old Army .45 revolvers) and that was likely because the grip and trigger reach matched my hands.

.. You'll get a better idea of my 'expertise' when I confess that I find the "easier to control" .40"S&W guns unpleasantly SNAPPY to my taste - whereas I was fine with the full sized 10mm Glock 20.

My Black-Powder Big Bore ROA is Pleasantly SOFT To Shoot
 - With 35 Grains of Powder.

That's life .. We are all different eh ..

Ruger 'Alaskan' 44 Magnum 
.. Similar bore to a Ruger Old Army but VERY different energy

Marty K.

No comments:

Post a Comment