Friday 18 August 2023

The BEST Shooting Pistol:

My Glock G 19x is the sweetest shooting auto I've owned and is the one gun I will miss the most.

END OF STORY ..

- Well, in all fairness to the others - maybe it just fit my hands and trigger reach the best while it's barrel length is a good match to 9 MM ballistics - and the standard Tritium sights were very visible and clear to work.

No blued steel or burr wallnut stocks - but they build them superbly functional in Austria .. When I was the NZ Factory Agent back in the 90's I would gather an on-range club crowd by dropping my G17 onto the concrete and whacking the gun repeatedly with a lump hammer .. then I'd ask "Has anyone got a Smith & Wesson or Colt I can try that on?"

 - The concrete would chip a bit sometimes, but the pistol would be fine and unmarked..

Before you ask ... The reason I no longer represent Glock here is - that the moment I secured the NZ Police purchase agreement - the Glock Asia & Pacific, Hong Kong based Sales Director Max Westwater appointed two new local NZ dealers and told me that, as I was no longer sole agent for NZ he would keep my commission for himself. ..

The ignorant Wellington Cop-In-Charge - one Inspector Taffy Jones, had stated right from the start "NO WAY ARE MY POLICE GOING TO USE PLASTIC GUNS." - so it had been hard work persuading them to even take a look or to test the Glock 17. 

- I had need to get the Police Minister to TWICE order Police to accept the Glock for trials and then I learned that "someone" had instructed the Police Armourer to lock the sample gun into a metal cabinet and not to open it until the trials and selection had ended. - So back to the Police Minister again to have the best pistol unlocked, extracted and included in the selection trials - History eh. - Much stress and expense for me - all for no reward either.

It was around this time - a little earlier, when an Australian Army Major locked-on to the trigger of the full-auto Glock 18 we were demonstrating in the A C T Canberra Commonwealth Police underground range - and showered all there with concrete spall blasted from the roof and ricocheting brass & lead .. "Professionals" eh - they know how to use guns safely for our security eh ..

_______________

Strange to say - but my favorite shooting revolver is not my much loved and versatile Ruger SP101 in 327 Fed Mag - but my old Webley MkIV 'Top-Break' 38-200 four inch Brit that was so comfortable and easy to use and to re-load .. Effective too -  despite being 'outdated' even when that caliber was adopted back in 1922..


There are some fine beautifully made firearms that I've owned - but I reckon the biggest test is - which gun goes to the range and gets shot most often determines THE one.

Marty K.

No comments:

Post a Comment