Sunday 21 September 2014

Handgun Recoil - worth using MAGNUMS?:

I know that I do tend to go-on a bit about some issues (nag-nag-nag!) - one of my favourites is about using 'big-boomers'. -I just don't enjoy shooting full-house magnum loads like the 44 Magnum and even the 357 Magnum - they hurt me! - both in the hand and in the head - causing me to flinch and blink.

Down-load them a little and I love them heaps. - Mind you, I never had a problem with 10MM (The .40" Auto Magnum) in my Glock 20  although my routine load was down-loaded to meet IPSC Major Power Factor.
 


Greg Ellefritz  of 'Active Response Training' posted this video comparison of 38 Special / 357 Magnum recoil in slow-motion with the comment that he feels the considerably slower split times negates the possible extra power benefits.


- If you also try to factor-in the huge muzzle flash in low light conditions and the 'shock-effect' on the shooters ears at close proximity to the muzzle and the cylinder gap flash in your eyes - is it all worth it?



- Here's a story for you .. In my early days target shooting with handguns, a quarter of a century ago - I read everything I could to try improve my accuracy but didn't get much better. One book said that I should observe how my front sight moved as the shot was fired. - does the sight move straight up and down - or does it rise at an angle to the left or to the right? - as this kind of sideways bias can indicate various grip or stance faults.

Well, I couldn't remember seeing any sight jump! - but carried-on reading. - Several paragraphs later the 'champion' wrote - "If you can't recall what your front-sight does - it may be because you are shooting with your eyes shut !"

Yup, - that was the story - and when I made an effort to keep my eyes open and not blink - my accuracy did improve (not all that much though!). - So OK, I admit that I'm a Nervous Nelly. But..

I fully accept that if you are expecting to need to shoot charging Grizzly Bear or African Lion with your revolver - you definitely do need the biggest calibre and heaviest loading available - Me? - Can I stand behind you ( - about ten miles behind?)

Joke: Two guys in tiger country - one insisted in wearing his best running shoes - and his mate scoffed "You're not going to be able to outrun a bloody tiger" - He replied - "It's not the tiger I've got to out-run - only you"

Greg E also posts research that shows that victims of Firearms Assault (in six different states surveyed) - having reached hospital - have only a 6.5 percent chance of death .. Saying that's how ineffective gunshot wounds are.

Marty K.

No comments:

Post a Comment