Thursday 18 September 2014

"Blow-up" on 9MM Carbine - Norinco Factory Ammo:

Last Sunday my happy mood was wrecked by a factory loaded 9mm cartridge blowing-out in my JRC Carbine and destroying the magazine and my enjoyment of the day.



 
 
I had found six left-over rounds of Norinco FMJ head-stamped 9x19 C J 92 and planned to fire them off in the carbine to tidy-up my ammo stocks. The bulk of this ammunition had been fired in my Glock 17 previously with no issues.
 
I first loaded and fired four of my normal re-loads at the paper target and they are the lower group on target - I then loaded the four Norinco rounds and fired them (the upper four holes on target) - observing that these were louder than my light re-loads - the fourth shot was much noisier and did not cycle the carbines action. I released the magazine and was immediately shocked by its condition -below:
 
The magazine 'follower' was shattered and the end cap of the pistol grip was found on the concrete floor having been blown-out.
 
I had to use some muscle to open the action - then I could see the blown case exposed partly out of the chamber.
 
That is Scary - Factory Ammunition.
 
The JRC Carbine does not appear to be damaged in any critical area other than destroying the pinned magazine - But I am returning it to the gun-shop to be examined by their gun-smith and to replace the pinned 'A-Cat' magazine.
 
The Gun Shop owner has 'phoned me to tell how he was aware of "four or five" hand-guns that have been badly damaged by this make of ammunition but didn't think there was any of it still in use in New Zealand.
 
Take a warning from this and discard any such ammo that you may have - as using it may be dangerous.
 
 
 This is the first time that I have any indication of any quality issues with Chinese ammunition or firearms.
 
Marty K.

No comments:

Post a Comment