Wednesday 3 September 2014

A Neat 22RF Revolver - Ruger SP101:

I was bemused(?) to note that my post ending with the Ruger 22LR revolver finally reaching home was my 200th effort.

I really like the look of the original equipment grips - the wooden inserts are  very nicely done - but they are not a good fit in my large(ish) hands. - They are not comfortable and leave my pinkie scrabbling for a home right on the bottom edge. - So the first job was to exchange them for a Hogue Monogrip (- that NZ Customs were told to release to me by NZ Police).

Mmmm, that's Better - Hogue Monogrips Fitted.
 
You can clearly see the difference in grip size eh, - and take a look at that front sight.
 
 
That "day-glow" optical fibre insert is a modern wonder - it really shouts at you in sun-light.

 
True - I'm no photographer and had problems trying to line-up the camera with the back sight, front sight, and the dark curtain while keeping the sight in the sun-light !

 - I'm useless at that test where you have to rub your stomach in a circle with one hand while patting your head with the other hand (go on then - try it!) - but I think you should be able to see how the front sight can stand-out visually.


The gun seems well made and the 'brushed finish' to the stainless-steel is OK commercially but possibly a little coarse - I guess that the 'up-side' there is that any scratches I add will be less obvious! - Double-Action trigger pull should lighten-up some with use but doesn't seem to be a problem for me - but then again - I was brought-up on Glocks - not tuned Colt .45" 1911s. -  Grip the gun!

Interesting to note - but there is an envelope in the Ruger plastic moulded container with a test-fired .22 shell case - this is date stamped 12 June (2014/06/12) - so I can't blame the Auckland gun-shop Reloaders Supplies for the slow service - when it seems that the gun was not completed and test-fired in Connecticut  until two months after the order !

Certainly I am surprised? / disappointed that neither the factory nor the NZ Importing Agent had stock - this may go some way to explain why Ruger handguns are rare on club ranges here in New Zealand.



Hickok 45  has fun with the .22 SP101 - but has reservations about that bright front sight:


Life is good.

Marty K.


No comments:

Post a Comment