Friday 26 September 2014

W (&WW) GREENER - Historic Gunmakers:

I'm not much of a shotgunner - well - to be frank - I'm bloody useless. But I can hit a stationary large target -say the size of an IPSC target at close range.

 - Well you've only got to check with my fellow competitors and they'll confirm that it was me that put a 12 gauge slug through the A zone of a steel boiler-plate target that was meant to be shot with buck-shot.

 - Well it's easy to do if you forget that you need to load the tube magazine in reverse order for the 3-Gun Match course of fire - Sorry Mr PSI.NZ Director (Jim - mate).

Mossberg Drills a neat hole in Steel Plate.
That aint no Greener.

But even I am sure that I'd heard the "Greener" name in connection with quality collectible shotguns.  W Greener of Newcastle and Birmingham served his time with another (should be familiar) name 'Manton' in London and Greener made excellent quality muzzle-loading guns - but refused to make breech-loaders maintaining that they were inferior performers - so much so that his son WW Greener left him and started up his own factory (The two concerns were united later).
William Greener 'Damascus' 7 Bore Pigeon Gun Detail.

But dad, W Greener also invented lots of other useful stuff - for example his was the first British patent for the electric light (1846), He improved the Miners safety lamp, Invented a self-righting lifeboat that used water ballast, and won a prize for machinery that opened all four gates at a railway crossing simultaneously.

WW GREENER Shotgun.

He may not have been an easy man to get along with - but in all fairness - many of the early breech-loaders were not very good gas sealers and may well have justified being called "trash" - as he said!


The WW Greener gun-making business became 'legend' to collectors. - I'm sure that my short barrelled "Tupara" would deserve to be called 'trash' in such company - but I  never did have good taste (in clothing etc. - I once owned a treasured orange day-glow tie as a teenager 'Ted'.)

I know - But I like it!
 
That Harp cap-badge is a reproduction badge for the New York Irish Brigade.(Union Army Volunteers).
 
Marty K.

No comments:

Post a Comment