Friday 7 January 2022

Flashing & Farting with Jelly:

I was YouTube watching  'Gun Sam Revolver Aficionado' shooting into ballistic gelatin - with snow all around on the ground - when I wondered just what effect that sort of outside temperature might have on reducing bullet PENETRATION ..

- As it turns-out - the proper temperature for use of this 10% gelatin media is fridge cool at 4C or 39F - close(ish to the snow's temperature .. so the reality will likely be a slight risk of increased penetration into these blocks in summer weather.

There are way too many complications & variables when considering bullet performance - for an old fart like me to pretend to understand the rules - except for #1 Rule, DON'T stand in front of someone pointing a gun at you - as any hits will hurt ..

That mini explosion above is caused by a Diesel Effect in the oil-based clear ballistic block as the cavity collapses after the projectile passes on - Link:


To watch the video of ignition and 'farting' in oil-based clear Ballistic Gel see here ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yO6y48XiSI

 Plus a good article about the effect of gelatin temperature on PENETRATION:

https://brassfetcher.com/Gelatin%20Temperature%20Effect/Effect%20of%20Gelatin%20Block%20Temperature.html

I've played about a bit with shooting into Plasticine modeling clay blocks and expect to do more .. I reckon that the six inches managed here by the "obsolete" 38 S&W revolver round is maybe half or a third of that managed in ballistic Gel.

I have seen some "bounce-back" inside my clay - of course no ignition observed.

- So much fun to be had and so little time ..

Marty K.


2 comments:

  1. That was more interesting than I expected, I think it was because I understood it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Mz. Unknown - I value your understanding.

      Delete