Sunday 31 August 2014

Vector CR-21 - Space-ager South African Bullpup 5.56x45:

I thought that my 9mm NATO 'Just Right Carbine' was a bit "Spacie Looking" until I came across the Vector CR-21 on-line.

VECTOR CR-21 in 5.56x45 NATO - An AK in drag?
 
Designed 1997 by Denel Land Systems in South Africa as a possible replacement arm for the SANDF it is also being offered for export sales. Wikipedia has it as a prototype 'Bullpup' design currently suitable only to be shot by the 80% right-handed due to its ejection characteristics.
 
The action is gas-operated rotating bolt developed from the time-tested AK-47 (via Galil) and the polymer butt-stock has a storage compartment for standard cleaning kit.
 
The integral sight is described as a 1x optical sight with an illuminated reticle that does not use batteries and is easily changeable to other options.
 
 
The front sight is removable to fit a grenade launcher and the CR-21 uses 35 round R4 / Galil magazines.
 
"Sexy" as it looks - my first (opinionated) opinion would be that it might prove more useable if fitted with a standard picatinny tactical rail system (MIL-STD-1913 Rail) and was ambidextrous (I personally maintain that my left-handedness doesn't mean that I'm completely useless!).
 
 
My Just Right Carbine Comes with Tactical Rail System.
 
- Still - They both are pretty eh.
 
Marty K.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment