Saturday 9 March 2019

Soldiers Fought on Condensed MILK Field Rations:

Union soldiers fought the bitter 1861 US Civil War for five long years. - In between being missed by Minie Balls they were nurtured by canned milk from their Field Rations .. a typical 300 ml can contains 1,300 calories (5440 kJ), 28 grams each of protein and fat, and more than 200 grams of carbohydrate.

Here I have to fess-up that one reason I weigh over 100 kg is because I LOVE the taste of condensed milk. - Yeah I do know that it is not good nutrition for anyone carrying a triple bypass ðŸ˜…..keep taking the pills eh.
- Sure there was salt pork or beef, beans & peas, coffee, hard-tack bread'n'weevils - and compressed desiccated vegetables - but I'm betting that the boys grumbled much less about their sticky canned milk than the other salty stuff.
Canned foods in metal containers were developed from Napoleons need in 1795 to feed his troops but strange to tell - canned foods were used for more than 30 years before can openers were invented.

Preserved meats first came in sealed glass jars - but once can openers were freely available - canned meats helped improve even working family's food range.

Both Condensed Milk and Evaporated Milk are preserved sterilized milk with up to 60% of the water removed - but the sweetened sticky condensed milk has around 40% plus SUGAR added .. Mmm YUMMY.

Mind you - I'm catching-on that the cheap 'Own Brand' condensed cow is much more runnier and spillable (What a fecking sticky mess) - as if it's been stretched with considerably more water.

 - I use sticky cow's fat in my coffee as the so called fresh milk goes chalky & rancid in the fridge long before I can use half of it. - I guess I should suck my caffeine black and healthy .. but I can't hack it without the fattening additives (- both black coffee and Guinness are real 'men's drinks' eh).

While I'm picking-on "milk" .. you do realize that the dairy factories' industrially separate off all the 'cream' (fat) before remixing it back for whatever grade of emulsion they prefer to market?
Perhaps I Should Try a splash of EVAPORATED Milk in a Guinness?
(Milk Stout?)

Marty K.

No comments:

Post a Comment