Sunday 28 November 2021

Aguila 60 grain Sniper SubSonic .22 LR:

 I've been looking for some of these heavyweight pills for months - but eventually I gave-up the hunt and pre-ordered a 500 round Brick from the World's Largest Gun Shop located in Christchurch. 

- Then they sent an e-mail saying that they had obtained one only 50 round packet into the store and did I want it to be put under the counter for me?

RARE AS HENS' TEETH - Aguila 60 Grain Sniper SubSonic 
- Only From Mexican Free Range BLUE-EYED Red Fowl ..
WARNING: Chickens may have sharp beaks & Do NOT grow teeth .. or.22 cartridges.

- Well YES I did want them .. and that capable worker Chloe gave me a big smile two days later along with the small packet after entering my Firearms License details and zapping my bank card.


- Ask no questions & you'll be told no lies .. but I asked and it seems that a sad shooter having decided that it is now too expensive AND too much trouble to renew a firearms license - offered everything he had to the shop for disposal including this wee unused packet.

ONE OF MANY FUTURE EX-SHOOTERS NO DOUBT.

A unique design from Aguila  Mexico .. where having produced the long 60 grain heavyweight .22 caliber bullet they needed to load them into .22" SHORT brass cases to maintain the cartridge overall length.

A further issue seems to be that this long slug needs a faster 1:9 rifling twist to stabilize and Aguila  suggest that a 20 inch barrel length is preferred ..

- I'm mainly interested in what these heavy lead slugs can do when fired from a handgun but if they manage decent accuracy from my Ruger 10-22 rifle that will be a bonus too.

Several testers have shown that these rounds YAW &  'keyhole'  and tend to consistently flip-over in clear ballistic gel .. which might be useful sometimes. On our club range - we were surprised to find that these Aguila 'Sniper Sub Sonics' cycled faultlessly in my Glock 44  and hit close to point of aim .. but when shot from my 4 inch Ruger SP101 they impacted high left. - They definitely slammed through the paper target SIDEWAYS from these two pistols and produced the comment "Why shoot a forty-five when they make these sized holes?". - Interesting eh - provided they penetrate some.

Marty K.


No comments:

Post a Comment