Tuesday 22 July 2014

MY Just Right 9MM Carbine (& Customs Firearms Regulations):


Well - I got a rush of blood to the head and went and did it! - I guess I just got tired of waiting for my new Ruger .22" RF SP101 revolver to arrive from USA - it's been thirteen weeks now since I ordered it and paid my deposit - but I'm informed that the Importing Agent says that it has not yet left America and may be another four weeks! - Hmm.
JUST RIGHT CARBINE with 'NEW YORK SAFE ACT' Stock
('Thordson Custom FRS-15')
 - So I've been considering all the pros and cons about handy rifle platforms and calibres for so long now that I couldn't (shouldn't) hold-back any longer.

My debate started with which is the better platform of the AR15 and the AK47 - regarding which can survive my neglect, then which can I afford to buy, and what calibre ammo I can buy or best cook-up myself at home - looking at 5.56mm NATO, 300BLK, 7.62x39 - All being rifle calibres that burn a fair bit of high velocity powder.

But all the time I was thinking that any of those calibre/platforms would need to work well with home-brewed sub-sonic ammo for my regular outings to the pistol club range. - And I really wanted to have an effective Silencer or Sound-Moderator fitted because I truly enjoy a "nice quiet day at the range!" - especially in good company with the sun shining.

 My quiet .22" Shiny-thing (Ruger 10/22)
So, seeing as how I mostly use either a Glock 17 in 9mm, or my Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum, or the .22" Rimfire conversion on the G17 (and soon? the 8 Round .22" Revolver - when it eventually lands) or my Ruger 10/22 silenced shiny thing - maybe what I needed is a 9MM, Silenced, Semi-auto Carbine. - one that can use Glock magazines perhaps?

Now - picking the Just Right Carbine doesn't actually mean that I've decided the AR15 platform is better than the AK47 - because the JRC  is not a true AR - no 'Direct Gas Impingement' system here - as it's blow-back pistol calibre. Hopefully the JRC will prove to have the best of several worlds (or the choice of popular easily found bits'n'pieces to fit.)

Using the .22" calibres for cheap plinking and having fun with lead in the air I should be well covered with semi-auto pistol, revolver, and rifle.

- The .357 Magnum gives a wide choice of both heavy loads and light .38 Special rounds and any 'oddball' loads I'm playing with - both single and double-action. -- And the 9mm Glock is there for serious use in proper IPSC matches and only needs a good matching Carbine to complete the set - *Blingo*


Here comes the expensive bit. - Order and pay for one Just Right 9MM Carbine. - Order a Hardy 'Over-barrel' Silencer to be fitted. - Order a set of Magpul MBUS flip-up open sights, and - Buy a 3-9x42 EG Scope with built-in Laser. - Take a deep breath and check the cash balance.

 - I decided to stick with the dog-leg 'Thordson Custom FRS-15' Stock that Serious Shooters are offering as their standard 'A-Cat' for several reasons - it looks interesting & different, - it might make take-down for cleaning a bit easier, - and it's their cheapest option! - if I can't get-on with it long-term, I can always get a divorce eh.

 - I had earlier found that some of the 'A-Cat' legal pistol grips are a bit tight for my hands and "pinch" where they are linked back to the butt-stock. - The 'New York' stock is made of 30% glass fibre filled Nylon 6/6 - with moulded-in steel sling mounts and a storage compartment in the grip.

P.S. - I need to add here that I've been in contact with the Christchurch District Police Firearms Office several times over the last three/four months - and on every occasion the personnel have been as usual - very helpful and good to deal with.

 - There have been "issues" with interpretations of  Import Permit law and Customs application of regulations relating to "gun parts" - that have caused us all extra work - but the Christchurch Firearms Office staff have been great to deal with (as too were Customs) - while firmly sticking to the 'rules'.

 Thank you all very much. - My 'negotiations' with NZ Customs Service are ongoing while they consider my three page 'Application for review of seizure pursuant to section 231 of the Customs and Excise Act 1996.'  - This refers to two small after-market compression coil springs (hammer & trigger re-set). Value US$ 8.99.

Marty K
After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870

No comments:

Post a Comment