Monday 25 February 2019

Black & Tan Holsters:

My new Glock 19X fits fine into my old black G17 belt-slide thumb-break Magnum Leather holster .. but jokers on the club range reckon I need to get with a color-matched high tech Kydex  thermoplastic acrylic-polyvinyl chloride holster and matching belt. - I'm not excited about that thought as I actually prefer the feel & function of old fashioned cow leather.


.. worrying about this suggestion I have dressed the Coyote Tan polymer pistol in my tan shoulder rig

.. And I suspect that it might well be a better color match as Wearable Art . - Yeah it is.

The G19X is a finely made working tool - the quality of the polymer moldings is faultless & the metal should last lifetimes of heavy use.

- The stainless steel guns seem to suite either black or tan rigs .. I do need to say that while the Ruger Mk.IV Hunter model looks good in the photo images - in reality it is a jewel .. truly beautifully built and finished .. a credit to their workers.
It would be reasonably simple to blacken a tan leather holster - but there's no way to change my black dead cow skin into a natural sun-tanned one eh.
______________

I worked with plastics for a dozen years and don't love them (they being mostly smelly, unhealthy, nasty oil-derived crap). Anyone doubting this should take a good sniff of some overheated Delrin acetal resin co-polymer .. this would be a memorable and highly toxic tear-gas experience of the fumigating effects of FORMALDEHYDE gas.

You can achieve similar damaging toxicity by overcooking PVC raw materials .. when setting-up injection molding plant - the evil 😅American habit of stating processing temperatures in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius can lead to an interesting emergency ventilation of corrosive gas ..  One kilogram of PVC heated to 300 degrees C releases an estimated 12.9 g of hydrochloric acid (HCl) fumes and 4.9 g of carbon monoxide (CO). 

It can also seriously get exciting & nasty very quickly if the nozzle blocks or the nozzle heater band fails and freezes the pressure outlet on a cylinder loaded with heating & gassing-spitting-splattering molten polymers (the nylons are hygroscopic).

Naah, I definitely don't love plastics .. but you gotta love Glocks for sure.(- luckily they are made of ? eh 😁)

Marty K.
- You can now send me a wee support $ - starting from $1 to get all this stuff from New Zealand:        https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870



No comments:

Post a Comment