Monday 11 February 2019

New Cartridge Paper-Punchers:

- Within the secure curtilage of my home property I have two new pretty things - a Glock 19X Coyote Tan, and a stainless steel Ruger Mk.IV 'Hunter' model.
That's The Large Beaver Tail Fitted To my 19X
.. Comfy eh.

While both are strong & dependable tools chosen for function and looks .. it's notable that the NATO standard high capacity Glock weighs in as a lightweight 0.85 kg. while the smaller caliber .22 rim-fire Ruger bends my kitchen scales to a whopping 1.45 kg. - This high mass is with unloaded magazines in place and I do appreciate that the Glock's newtons will increase relatively with a full load of cartridges in position.

The Gen5 Glock (original from 1982) is smooth handling and comfortable in the hand (even the trigger feels good to me) .. whereas the brilliant looking all stainless-steel Mk.IV Ruger rim-fire - that originated way back in 1949 - tends to be uncomfortable and a bit "clunky".  My discomfort stems not only from it's weight & shapes but mainly from it's internals .. out of the box some moron has again installed a magazine disconnect that prevents normal function.

I challenge any bulls-eye shooter to train with one of these in standard form - as it's nearly impossible to safely dry fire.

- Remove the magazine - and the trigger is blocked .. insert an empty magazine and cock the trigger mechanism and the slide locks back .. remove the magazine and run the slide forward into battery and the trigger is again barred. In order to activate the trigger - insert magazine .. Magazine in place locks the slide open when you manually re-cock ......

- this is not to mention the intrusive 'SAFETY' that might be improved by taping in the 'Fire' position.
- The trigger is heavy too. - But the re-assembly & take-down for cleaning ARE easier for sure.

- Somewhat like a Colt 1911 - I'm sure that when I get the Mark IV properly modified it will be a treat to fire and it's heavy weight will help strengthen my forearms while beautifully dampening the two-two's already slight recoil impulses. - I had used plenty of the earlier Standard/Mk.II models without issues.
- Sighs,

Meanwhile - the G19X is great .. I have fitted the large beaver-tail back-strap to it's grip but I may end-up rolling a segment of bike inner tube onto it (a "Glock Sock") to make it even fatter & softer.

It's also noteworthy that here in New Zealand I had to pay just about the same size wad of dollars (NZ$1,420 ish) for either 'gat' - both with three magazines.

Marty K.

 I've signed-up to Patreon. - NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1 to get all this stuff from New Zealand:        https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870

No comments:

Post a Comment