I was given some books the other day by "J" - the next one here is 'The Day Of The Triffids' by John Wyndham.
- I guess that you guys'n'girls still read - or you wouldn't be here ..
An excellent and thought-provoking read - once you get used to his slightly dated? writing style that results from it being written way back in the 1950s.
Full of interesting 'asides' - such as our English heroes having to arm themselves with sheath-knives on belts before moving forward to 'pistols' and blade firing spring-powered "Triffid Guns".
- Of course they made a movie ^
You should be able to find Wyndham's used books very cheaply.
- Reading the 'Triffids' again reminded me of Terry Nation's 1975 SURVIVORS - that was subject of two great BBC TV series (The 2nd one was a less worthy 'remake' version).
The SURVIVORS was filmed in British SAS training country around Herefordshire. - A good book and even better TV.
Terry Nation is perhaps better known as creator of Doctor Who & The Daleks, Blake's 7 & a whole string of TV writing including The Avengers, The Saint etc. - He was also a script writer for British comedian Tony Hancock way back in 1962/63.
SURVIVORS is available as a paperback book and the DVD boxed sets of the TV Series are great viewing.
- Any other GOOD survival stuff out there - even more recent?
- I've just watched two series of 'Better Call Saul' - spin-off from 'Breaking Bad'. Great viewing that demonstrates that there still is some good television being made - as long as you eliminate the commercials.
P.S. Real rifle shooting Readers should enjoy this 102 page PDF titled 'The Art Of Shooting'.
It is a story of international competition rifle shooting through many decades- There's even mention (on Page 20) of the Reising sub-machine gun and its .22" version...