Monday 7 May 2018

The CREEDMOOR Cartridges & Now, 6.5x39 GRENDEL:

I don't know much about what I'm talking about here .. I'm trying to sort it out in my head. - But the other day on the range I said something like "Isn't the 6.5 Creedmoor much like the Russian 7.62x39mm cartridge." and the guys there 'corrected' me. Oh the shame of it - I'm still blushing 😅

6mm Creedmoor - 6.5mm Creedmoor, - & "Parent" Round .308 Winchester.

x

- So yeah they were right for sure - the Creedmoor is definitely bigger & more powerful - and is said to be "boringly accurate" by them-that-know - not a renowned characteristic of the Russian AK47 battle round !!

So the 6.5 mm Creedmoor (short-action) is more like the excellent 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser (long-action dating from 1891) that got 'short'n'fat' .. Take your pick 😎.

I guess that if you were in the market for a "brand new to you" all round rifle .. you might well consider the 'Creedmoors' - on the other hand, if you have a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser nearby, you shouldn't feel disadvantaged by life in any way, eh 😊.

It seems that maybe I was confusing the 6.5mm & 6.mm Creedmoor rounds with the 6mm PPC target shooting round that was developed indirectly from the Russian 7.62x39mm round (via the 22PPC & the .220" Russian). So there you go - proof that I need a kiwi rifleman to write about this rifle stuff.

Marty K.
P.S. Nick says:
Howdy ,
Hope  this  sunny  day  finds  you  well .
There  is  a  6.5 mm  cartridge  based  on  the  7.62x39 .
It's  called  the  6.5  Grendal .  And  it's  ideal  in  the  AR 15  and  similar  length  actions .  
Howa  chamber  their  shortest  bolt  actions  for  it  and  performance  is  said  to  be  very  good .
Cheers  Chap ,
6.5x39 Grendel.
- I see Wikipedia says the 6.5x39 Grendel is a sort of improved 6.5 PPC - and that Serbia is adopting this round for it's military main armament .. and that US is testing said 6.5x39 for use by special forces.

Link to a story about 6.5 Grendel and military use:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/6-5mm-grendel-the-round-the-military-ought-to-have/
M.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment