Friday 31 October 2014

Fix For Flame-Cutting On S&W Revolver Top Strap:

The more reading research that I do - the more I realise how little I know and how many gaps I have in my education!

I was reading a piece about the 357 Magnum in the 2014 Shooters Digest and spotted a photo of a wee piece of spring steel fitted above the forcing cone of a S&W revolver to act as a guard against flame cutting.


- Here's another example shot from a different angle:


- Now I had of-course heard of the flame-cutting erosion that you get from shooting hot-loaded high velocity magnums - but I'd never seen or heard of this "fix".

Shot Of Flame-Cutting Damage on Revolver.
Various opinions are voiced online about this unsightly damage and its causes - a consensus seems to be that generally the cutting goes 'so-far' then stops - nobody seems to have seen a gun rendered dangerous by this damage,
 - and it might be caused by using lots of hot high-velocity light-weight rounds in an earlier time. - there's also some talk about faulty forcing-cone design and big cylinder gaps.
- Whatever. - My point here is that "you learn something new every day" ....Eh.
------------
Another knowledge  'gap' spotlighted in this Shooters Digest was the Winchester 22 Automatic Rim-fire cartridge developed for the Model 1903 rifle. (not interchangeable with .22 Long Rifle).
I'd thought that I was familiar with the story of our .22" Rim-Fire 'Long Rifle' cartridge and its development - but I'd never heard of this Winchester 22 Automatic round or the similar (but different) 'Remington 22 Automatic'.
They were (are) proprietary rounds developed by the makers for specific models of rifle - to ensure that older 'dirty' black powder rounds were not used in them - thereby causing gumming-up malfunctions.
Classic 1903 Winchester Rifle.
- I guess that if I were a cartridge collector or had owned one of those rifles - I'd have known all about the proper ammo - as it is, Wikipedia has to tell that story.
 Marty K.
After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/user?u=16618870

No comments:

Post a Comment