Sunday 12 October 2014

Yeah - I AM a Ruger Fan!

I have two Ruger revolvers - a six inch barrelled GP100 in .357"Magnum and a wee four inch barrelled SP101 22RF eight-shot. Both chunky stainless steel revolvers have been fitted with Hogue Monogrips that seem to fit my hands better than the original Ruger rubber grips with the very nice inset wooden panels.

 
357Magnum & 22RF Rugers.
 
I guess if you are a S&W fan you'll already be moving-on to read something else - But I really like the feel and look of these two strongly built guns and the SP101 was built in June this year fitted with the 'high-visibility' fibre optic front sight that seems to work well for my way of shooting.
 
 
- Both pistols are capable of tighter groups than I normally make - but that's because of my impatient snap-shooting style and my scratched grubby old aviator style corrective lenses. I hardly use the single-action way of firing - but get reasonable tight slow fire group results if I try.
 
I find the trigger D/A action fine but a little heavy to some tastes - and I can "stage" the release to adjust the sight picture on both revolvers - but try not to develop this bad habit - by using a positive strong grip while ensuring that my thumbs are fully clear of the trigger fingers rearward travel.
 
Although the Ruger 357Magnum is said to easily handle a continuous diet of Magnum loads - my re-loads are gentler stuff - indeed I added a few extra granules ( 0.3grains) to the powder charge as my light load wasn't sealing the brass fully in the chambers - to eliminate the dirty 'blow-back' streaks I was getting on the brass cases from them not "obturating" properly.
 
-
 
I also have my stainless silenced Ruger 10/22 s/a rifle - all three guns have proved to be reliable and well made (as they should be, of-course). - So that's three out of three to Sturm-Ruger.
 
 
Ruger 10/22 "Shiny Thing"
 
 
 
- Hands up all of you who spotted him shooting with crossed thumbs - That's something you'll only do once with a semi-auto !
 
Marty K.

No comments:

Post a Comment