Tuesday 2 February 2016

9x19mm Carbines & Chinese Norinco 1911 .45":

For a long time a couple of years back I was looking for a 9x19mm semi-auto carbine. - to compliment my Glock 17 on the Pistol Club range - and semi-auto action because it was easy for left-handed me to shoot.

The rifles that I was looking for were either the Marlin Camp Carbine or the Ruger PC9 - but it seemed that everyone else wanted them - and any that came-up on our 'Trademe' online auction site sold for big prices - well over NZ$1,400. (neither carbine is currently in production).

 Marlin Camp Carbine
Ruger PC9

Both of those are 'traditional' non military styled and can be had as New Zealand 'A' Category firearms (non-registered).

So failing that - I bought and fixed-up an old silenced bolt action 'DeLisle' conversion built  in 9x19mm on an antique Lee-Enfield (ex..303") rifle.
My "DeLisle" Enfield 9x19mm Rifle.

Then much later I bought my 9x19mm 'Just Right Carbine' and had it fitted with a Hardy 'over-barrel' silencer.
My Just Right Carbine takes Glock Magazines.
The JRC had to be the right choice for me - being both 9mm calibre and taking Glock magazines and readily changeable R.H to L.H action - but I've not yet changed it over.

I truly am a bit keen about 'silenced' guns - as an efficiently moderated sub-sonic calibre makes for a nice quiet day on the range eh.

My JRC is good to handle and shoot - but I disliked the "spong" noise from the naked buffer tube with each shot - right there at my ear. I guess that you wouldn't even notice the sound of that big spring if the carbine were not so well silenced - but I've ended-up squeezing a length of black foam rubber plumbers pipe insulation over the buffer tube to cushion it from my skull - as in the picture below:
 The soft guitar case makes a great cheap carry bag - and the nylon net brass-catcher velcros on for convenient use on the range. And I really like the 'look' of that New York stock .. but some folk don't like it at all!
I'm no sniper (old eyes) -  so a pistol calibre carbine can do anything I need it to at the ranges I can see and shoot.. although some years ago as a teen I could see the targets better.

That was then - now my cobber 'Cutters' has splurged-out on his 'hearts desire' - a (Chinese) 1911 in 9x19mm - and has also found a silenced Ruger PC9 to mate with it.

Poisonally I would consider buying a Ruger 9mm pistol that uses the same magazines as the PC9 - rather than his Chinese built '1911' - but that's life eh - one day honey and the next day onions.

- Talking about those "onions" - bang bang pop - Cutters had an amusing interlude on range with both new guns, a long brass rod and a hammer - as about every fourth shot just went pop as the bullet was pushed up into the barrel by primer-only loads. - That's the sort of thing that can happen when setting-up to re-load with a new press that's not yet fully sorted .. Where's the powder?

Two very nice guns that worked well when fed properly..  Been there, Done that.

Here The New Norinco 9mm 1911 keeps company
with a Silenced Browning Buckmark .22" - Nice eh.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I was shooting .22" in my wee Ruger SP101 8 shot revolver alternately with the 10 round 'Advantage Arms' .22" conversion on my Glock 17, at two bulls-eye targets mounted on the same frame at around 15 metres.
- Using cheap bulk packed Winchester 555 ammo the revolver just kept all its holes grouped in around five inches rapid double-action fire - as did the semi-auto rim-fire Glock .22" - but the magazine fed gun "stove-piped" or fail to feed /failed to go into battery about 20 % of the time.

Yes, true, both guns were dirty unlubricated and neglected - but one of them kept going eh. A decent clean, oiling - and a switch to better quality rounds would fix it and even-up the odds between them.

While I'm having a winge - That Norinco 1911 has confirmed my feelings about Americas favourite icon.
- Brand new out-of-the-box .. badly needed trigger job - floor plate fell off one magazine, and it wouldn't work much at all until the ejector was "adjusted" (bent-around until a working position was found!) - Buy gun for $1,000 - then spend $2,000 getting it to function.

 Marty K.

After researching & writing 1,036 blogs I've got something NEW to try .. I've signed-up to Patreon. - In over five years I've not made one cent from this .. NOW you can send me a wee support $ - starting from $1. to get all this stuff from New Zealand - over a year that's nearly the price of one Shooting magazine. - Am I worth it?

https://www.patreon.com/posts/24075745

No comments:

Post a Comment